What is the best tool for data visualisation?
As with any tool selection in your data architecture, there isn’t a one-size-fits-all option. You can figure out how to choose the right data visualisation tools by considering these questions:
- What type of questions are your users asking?
- What's the skill level of your users?
- What technical resources do you have access to?
- How much data do you have and what condition is it in?
- Is remote access via a browser / mobile device needed?
Isn’t data visualisation just flashy graphics?
Flashy visualisations aren't always optimised to help people see what matters. The choice to use these rather than accurate data visualisations is problematic. Data provides a crucial foundation for an organisation's decision-making and how it operates. It lets an organisation characterise their operations in new ways and drive innovative discoveries.
What is a data story?
A data story accounts for how data changes over a period of time. It contains data points on time, location, volume, trend, significance, and proportion. It uses empathy, and it has a plot and a hero. It ends with a question and some options.